2000 – 2008
General Manager (CEO) – Central Darling Shire Council NSW
Central Darling Shire is the largest Local Government area in New South Wales covering some 53,000 Sq Klms. Comprising of four principal towns, Wilcannia, White Cliffs, Ivanhoe & Menindee along with the villages of Tilpa and Sunset Strip. The Council has an operating budget of around $12 million dollars and a total workforce of 54 people (FTE). The General Manager is Council's principal staff officer, exercising overall management responsibility for the Council's operations. To date, my record remains as the longest serving General Manager of this Council (7 years)
1998 - 2000
Impact (SA) Pty Ltd
Tourism & Community Development Consultancy
1996 - 1998
TOURISM & ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT OFFICER
District Council of Kapunda and Light
Responsible for the development and implementation of the Council's Tourism and Economic Development Strategy.
1992 - 1996
TOURISM DEVELOPMENT OFFICER
District Council of Kapunda
Responsible to local Council to develop the Kapunda Tourism strategy and in addition involve the local community in projects and initiatives. This was a 22.5 hour a week contract position.
T.A.F.E SA LECTURER
Part time instructor in Tourism Studies Murray Institute of
T.A.F.E Gawler & Clare Campus
1987 - 1992
Tri Sports, Nuriootpa. In conjunction with my wife we successfully operated this sports retailing business, transferring the business from Tanunda in 1990. Annual turnover of around $250,000.
1986 - 1987
BUSINESS PARTNERSHIP – BAROSSA PROMOTIONS
A contract business partnership with my wife aligned with the promotional aspect of the Wine Industry including operating cellar door sales outlets on behalf of the owners. Major contracts obtained from Orlando Wines, Henschke Wines, Basedow Wines and Kies Estate.
Regional Sport & Recreation Survey on behalf of the Barossa Community Services Board in conjunction with the Tanunda Council, Dept Recreation and Sport
1979 - 1986
CELLAR DOOR SALES MANAGER
Leo Buring Winery Tanunda offered the position as Barossa Valley Cellar Door Sales and Promotions Manager.
Duties included the re-development and re-design of the total Leo Buring Cellar Door operation at Tanunda (now Richmond Grove). During this period, I was Chairman of the Nuriootpa Commerce Association for a period of 3 years.
1974 - 1979
B Seppelt & Sons Limited Seppeltsfield Barossa Valley approx 18 months, then transferring to that Company's Rutherglen (Vic) Winery to initiate and manage their Cellar Door operations. Responsibilities included promotion of the Company and its products in the North East Victorian Region.
Whilst in Rutherglen I was a member of the Development Association for 4 years and President for 2 years.
1967 - 1974
Various postings including Amberly (Qld), Melbourne and Darwin.
Managing the Central Darling Shire Council in what is often described as a difficult and challenging region and working environment, the following, although not exhaustive, are examples of of my priorities and projects undertaken:
- Led the Council that received the A.R Bluett Award in 2005 for Excellence in Local Government (highest award in NSW Local Government)
- Updated and subsequently met all Council's regulatory and legislative reporting requirements. (i.e. annual report 4 years in arrears)
- Ensured Minutes & Meeting Agendas were prepared in the agreed time frames with total compliance achieved.
- Provided prompt action or written response to all concerns and issues raised by residents.
- Preparation and facilitation of a Crime Prevention Plan
- Establishment of NSW National Parks & Wildlife Service presence in Wilcannia (first Government Department to re locate back to Wilcannia for 20 years)
- Prepared and implemented Council's 5 year Strategic Plan
- Developed a Community Access Bus program – Community Transport Scheme (NSW Premiers Gold Award)Facilitated the roll out of the CDMA Mobile Network and other communication technologies across the Central Darling Shire
- Facilitated the introduced Broadband Internet access to Wilcannia, Ivanhoe & Menindee
- Established two Rural Transaction Centres at Wilcannia & Menindee (new facilities)
- Developed three Telecentres (Community Technology Centres) in Central Darling Shire
- Established a Multi-Service Outlet at Ivanhoe (Funded by State & Commonwealth Government)
- Introduced a high standard Quarterly Newsletter to residents.
- Facilitated the provision of a domestic water supply to the village of Tilpa during a serious no flow in the Darling River